Camu Camu is a superfruit made from the berries of Camu Camu bush which is native to the amazon rainforest. It is packed with an extraordinarily high level of Vitamin C, antioxidants, amino acids, and other vitamins and minerals. The Camu Camu powder is made from dried and ground Camu berries, making it a great addition to smoothies, juices, and other recipes. The raw Camu berries have a tart taste, so it is preferred to consume them in powdered form. Another option is taking the powder as a supplement, pill, or another dietary supplement. The powerful antioxidants that it contains help to promote collagen production, which keeps skin looking firm and youthful. There are, however, numerous other health benefits associated with Camu powder that should not be ignored. Let’s review some of them:
Potential Health Benefits That Camu Camu Powder Offers
- Gingivitis is a common gum disease caused by a buildup of bacteria in gums. When left untreated, the condition can progress to periodontal disease, which can result in tooth loss. The anti-microbial properties of Camu powder can help reduce inflammation, thus reducing the risk of gum disease. It can fight off the bacteria causing gingivitis. Also, the vitamin C in Camu helps to strengthen the gums and teeth.
- The excess of free radicals in your body causes oxidative stress, which has been linked to diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. The consumption of antioxidant foods, such as vitamin C, can protect the body from oxidative stress and free radical damage. The polyphenols in Camu Camu powder can help to reduce stress or anxiety and keep cell damage at bay.
- Smoking creates excessive amounts of radicals. The high antioxidant content of Camu Camu may particularly benefit those who smoke cigarettes, as the antioxidants can help to reduce the harm caused by free radicals and improve overall health.
- Camu powder is known to be a natural remedy for Herpes, cold sores, and the common cold or flu. There has been some evidence to suggest that Camu Camu powder can help reduce headaches and migraine pain.
- It is helpful in the prevention of age-related eye diseases, such as cataracts and glaucoma.
- As it is rich in Vitamin C, it helps to boost the immune system and fight infections. Taking this super supplement can help reduce chronic fatigue syndrome and result in improved cognitive performance.
- With its anti-inflammatory properties, it can help reduce the symptoms of asthma and atherosclerosis.
- It may also be beneficial for people with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, as inflammation is a major factor in the development and progression of the disease. Those suffering from osteoarthritis can take advantage of Camu Camu powder as it is high in Vitamin C, which reduces inflammation.
- It is also known to help lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels, improve brain health, and reduce the risk of certain types of cancer.
- The pulp of Camu Camu fruits contains ellagic acid, an antioxidant that inhibits aldose reductase, an enzyme that stimulates inflammation. This enzyme can also lead to diseases such as diabetes, cancer, and cardiovascular disease. Consuming Camu fruit may help you decrease the risk of developing these diseases by reducing the activity of this enzyme.
Although studies on the medicinal benefits of this superfood are still in progress, energy boosting and immune system protection are definitely benefits anyone would appreciate.
The Bottom Line:
Camu Camu fruits and seeds contain a rich amount of healthy nutrients as well as powerful antioxidants. You can add them to your diet in the form of a powder or a concentrated supplement. With Camu Camu powder, smoothies, oats, muesli, yogurts, and salad dressings can be made healthier and more delicious without eating the real fruit.